This could be a "clicking", "crunching", "squeaking" or other unwanted mechanical noise from the seat while rowing. Most sounds of this nature develop suddenly if debris gets caught in the rollers or along the track. Especially if the noise only occurs along a certain part of the rail, debris is the most likely cause.
Steps to Resolve:
Try each of these steps, checking between each one to see whether the sound (click, crunch, squeak, etc.) is resolved:
- Begin by cleaning the rails and rollers: Wiping the full length of the rail, both on top and underneath along the inside of the track (thoroughly on both sides) with a microfiber cloth. This is something we suggest doing regularly as part of How to Clean and Care for Hydrow
- Also look along the rail, including the underside, for any contamination or marks that might provide a clue to where friction is happening. Pay special attention to cleaning any visible build-up away.
- If need be, you can perform a deeper cleaning by removing Hydrow's seat and Cleaning the rollers manually.
- If the seat or rollers are visibly damaged, or if you cannot otherwise resolve the problem with a squeaky or crunchy slide, please Contact Hydrow Member Services for further assistance.
NOTE: DO NOT use lubricants or degreasers such as WD40 or 409 on any of Hydrow's moving parts, including the seat rollers or rail. This will cause significant damage to Hydrow. Use of these will also void the warranty.
I hear a mechanical noise, but it's not from the seat?
- Check the tightness on the 4 bolts that attach the front foot. You can tighten them using the hex-wrench that came in Hydrow's original hardware pack. Loose bolts can sometimes allow for a creaking or squeaking noise while rowing.
- For other noises within Hydrow we ask that you Contact Hydrow Member Services and include a short video or audio clip of the noise attached to your inquiry. This will help our team diagnose your problem more effectively and make a recommendation.